Sunday, April 03, 2005

Marriage

Gay and Otherwise: Marriage

Personal choice as it affects that individual.

I've been in long-term relationships. I've been in short-term ... engagements.

If you meet somebody and you *click* - and you are together with an understanding b/t the two of you (or three or four) - that's a [spiritual] union. And if that lasts 2 weeks or 80 years, it's your life and choice.

The LEGAL allowances and protections inherent to the Married. I think that is the aim. And these are things that are so quickly denied or stripped away.

The UNION decision is b/t the parties involved - and/or their friends & family they invite to witness their connection. And who support them. And if you are involved in a faith - and your faith embraces your Union - fantastic.

Of course... I have never been inclined towards the fanciness of marriage. And sometimes, witnessing folks that are desperate to achieve marriage - and then are made so unhappy by it - I wonder:

"Why would you wish this on anyone?"

AND when I see a couple skipping through the aisles of Target, zapping merchandise into their registry with the merchandise stun gun - I am emotionally overwhelmed with

An urge to slap their heads together Stooges-style.

But that's me - and I am Gay. But not as Gay as some others in my Tribe.

No comments: