Monday, July 11, 2005

WalkDanceTalkSign --- Or Sit Down & Shut Up

I was recently introduced to this post in a blog:

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2005/07/watching-defectives.html

Youse talkin' to me?
So up came the topic of Pride's possible irrelevance, and I can say - I DID read the rant (loosely termed 'article') that the link led me to.

And I read it again - and still - this is a writer who wants an excuse to celebrate 'being gay'. And wants Pride to be the thing he enjoys and the parade that no one poops on.

Well, I step up to fling my poo.

"Why don't the papers ever show the NORMAL gay people? Where are the bankers and lawyers? Why must all the coverage be drag queens and leather freaks in ass-less chaps?"
I don't enjoy "Pride" - either as a political statement (which I don't believe it is any longer) or a 'celebration' (which I don't find very amusing or festive). So I don't attend - and I leave it to those that are seeking a chance to just let loose and express their individuality.

Knock yourselves out. No really.

I don't care if Pride survives or dries up completely in its current state. To me, it is irrelevant. But to me so is Styx or Huey Lewis & The News when they are on tour. I'm not buying tickets to sit through those performances - even if I hum along with their tunes.

Lisa Simpson: "You're here every year. We ARE used to it."

When there is a gay event (or any sort of event) that resonates with me, I will be there to show my support and my individuality in spades. Just as I have done, every day of my life, with friends, family, and sometimes complete strangers. No need for special occasions, thousands of bodies massed around me chanting, or autos wrapped in chicken wire and tucked with tissue paper.

Jew/Holocaust/Worn Out Cliches aside - this side says - "ooh icky drag queens and leather bears" - that side says "ooh boring yuppy gays with normal yuppy lives" - and each side hisses and spits at the other.

"They wish we were invisible. We're not. Let's dance.

Well, then dance - every day, in front of everyone you know. And ask them to dance with you. And dance with the people you want to dance with - whether they are your people/your tribe or not.

The lovely Kethrai introduced me to a quote a long time ago: "If you can walk you can dance. If you can talk you can sing." - Zimbabwe Proverb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is my first attempt to work through a 'blog'..clicking on various italicized subjests, trying out this or that...fascinating world out there..but BOY does time fly when you're folowing your nose through a friend's SPACE...My GOODNESS!! Hello...anyone listening?!? I guess I'm the only one commenting..will anyone ever notice?!? If a tree falls...ya know? Do these comments just go into the ozone...are they closer to prayers, smoke..WHAT?!?

WHO READS THESE COMMENTS?!?

Anyway, so far this site is pretty interesting...makes me think there are some VERY VERY TWISTED SOULS creating websites ...to be PERFECTLY frank (or edna, or whoever!)

and BYT THE WAY...every coment HAS to be followed by my filing out a 'word verification'>>>>tends to LIMIT my verbosity..to just the most important editorial comments...YAH,RIGHT!!